20 May Decentralized Clinical Trials
Clinical Trials: 5 Tips for Designing Decentralised Clinical Trials
Today, clinical trials form a huge part of the drug development processes. They help assess the ideality of a drug before it is dispatched to the end-user or client. Usually, they are virtual trials that can be carried out over the internet or the web. Besides increased effectiveness and reduced drop-out rates, people also get an incredibly flexible system. In this article, you will get to know the benefits that we get from using decentralised clinical trials, as well as tips for designing a great clinical trial.
5 Tips for Designing a Good Decentralised Clinical Trial
Depending on the circumstance, every clinical trial will be different from one to another. Following this, you need to design and develop a great DCT operable by your staff members and helpful to the patients. Here is how you do this:
- Check accessibility: When designing a DCT, you should use technology that is not only easy to use but also quick to learn. You do not want your staff members struggling to learn how to use the systems in place.
- Find a simple integration: The DCT should have simple navigation and integration for both the patients and staff members. While the patients are on the other side of the screen, they should fill in the required details and complete the tasks. If it’s too complex, most may leave it midway, and this affects the quality of results.
- Deliver reliability to clients: As you design the trials, you should also check your tools and processes to ensure that they are in good shape or the right state. They should be streamlined to avoid any potential pitfalls. After serving the clients, you should ask them a few questions and know how you can improve the processes and reliability. Let them assist you in making the system even better.
- Work with well-trained monitors: Since these are remote trials and systems, you need to have a team of well-trained monitors on the task. They will check all the potential pitfalls and ensure that you avoid them. In case of hitches, they will quickly report so that you can find quick solutions.
- Offer top-notch customer support: In today’s world, customer support is the most critical aspect of any business. While it is an online process, you need to be ready to help your clients whenever they need you. Get your lines open for feedback and queries.
Bonus point: Check communication and data safety: How do you communicate with the patients? Most of them use smartphones and tablets during the assessments, and this is great. Besides the communication, you need to assure the patients of secure data sharing. Having a good LIMS works well when setting up a DCT.
The Benefits of Using Decentralised Clinical Trials
Decentralised clinical trials, commonly known as DCTs, are the new hype in town. They have been indispensable in bringing solutions for most health conditions as the patient doesn’t have to access the facility physically. This section discusses the benefits that the DCTs have for modern society.
- Improved patient experience: DCTS follow a patient-oriented approach. The main theme is to make the patients as comfortable as possible as they undertake these clinical trials at home. During this time, the patients will spend more time with their family, as well as fulfil their family and work responsibilities. They do not have to be stuck in hospital healing. Even more, they eliminate the hustle for patients with mobility problems.
- No disruption to your daily life: Travelling can be fun and exciting when you are healthy and well. However, when you are sickly, it becomes much of a chore and inconvenience. With DCTs, you are not required to travel to any clinical site. You will receive high-quality treatment regardless of where you are without being burdened by travel restrictions.
- Enhanced patient recruitment and retention: Since the processes are comfortable and convenient, more patients are more willing to undertake the decentralized trials. There has been an increase of over 30% of patients joining the trials. As such, caregivers enjoy a decreased workload while patients enjoy the convenience and great services.
- Enhanced data accuracy: DCTs use mobile technologies to collect a high quantity of data from patients. There are no middle persons or entities interacting with the information, and this enhances its accuracy. The data is carefully collected and sent through the rightful technology platforms.
Challenges in Decentralised Clinical Trials
- Difficulty in validating virtual technologies
- The increased need for patient-doctor interactions
- There have been concerns about data privacy and security
- The regulatory acceptance of virtual data collection
- Compliance with the set standards and rules
The DCTs are indeed a great approach to solve various problems in today’s world. The systems combine excellent medical expertise and patient insights with the latest technologies to create great strategies to enhance the quality of medical care. They are indeed a necessary transformation in the clinical trial industry.